Monday, August 22, 2011

August 22 '11 Update

Social Report: Had some friends and relations for company.

Academic Affairs: If you asked me for a recommendation, you should be receiving an email from me in about a week covering the materials I would like from you, including the maximum denomination you should include in the plain brown paper bag full of cash. If you do not hear from me by say September 8, email me immediately. Both the Bernardsboe and the gmail address work, but for this use the bernardsboe.

Cultural Report: We've been enjoying the cultural events around here again. While managing to miss two of the Shakespeare plays I planned to see we see a play by Goldoni: The Venetian Twins Ca 1700s. It was done by some of the younger actors with Shakespeare and Co. in Lenox. They hammed it up throwing in lots of musical and almost slapstick features. There were several modern touches including this dire threat "If you bother me again I'll cut your heart out and sell it on Ebay." The timing and juxtaposition with the late renaissance play context made it seem much funnier than it does just in cold print. They had a great time doing the play and we had a great time watching it. I could imagine many of you rascals playing similar roles.

Live musics and theater is all around you. Get involved as performer, stage hand, scenery constructor or AUDIENCE MEMBER. Stop looking at screens and get out there. [ I know many of you already are]. We, who have no performing arts talents ( actually my wife can sing pretty well), signed up as volunteers at Tanglewood for next year.

The evening before we heard Schuman's piano concerto and Beethoven's Third Symphony ( one of the great achievements of civilization) at Tanglewood.


House report: Much time has been devoted to installing lighting fixtures and a fan.

My workshop at the west end of the house is pretty functional. I finished the work bench, including making four new drawers.

The barn loft is now usable and holding a fair amount of stuff. The working spaces of the barn are almost there. The new electrical panel and some circuits are in, I need to add several more. Hung up some of my many spare wheels and bikes today. I'll need to replace some sills by next summer.

We bought the house knowing it needed a new sceptic system. We are awaiting Mass DEP and local conservation committee rulings on our application as well as estimates from potential contractors. Things don't move at a lightning pace up here.... except for the lightning, of which we have had plenty.

Personal report: Been getting some good, but not epic rides in . Mostly 20-30 miles with about 2,000 feet of climb. I'll be looking to do some longer, harder ones as soon as my latest tooth problem is solved.

Today, after a dentist visit, we walked up to a fire tower overlooking the Deerfield River Valley near Shelburne Falls. Nice walk, nice views.


No comments: