Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Some real progress at last

I must admit I am satisfied out of all proportion to the actual accomplishment. After one month of practice making joints and about three weeks of shaping and cutting and fitting and gluing,  I now have assembled one lattice work door.

There are twenty individually cut and trimmed pieces of molding, fourteen hand cut mortise and tenon joints, and twenty other glue joints on this door. Now, to complete this door all I have to do is scrape off the glue, level the back, mortise in three hinges, mortise in the catches, drill a hole for the handle, cut 44 thin strips to hold the glass, get the glass cut, stain the strips  and lattice interiors, apply a finish, and install it.  ... and then there is the other door.

Why on earth did I ever get started on this?



No comments: