Thursday, March 15, 2007

Extra Credit for Black Hole Lecture

My records show the following of my students attended the lecture on black holes at Rutgers on 3/3:
Dan Ryan, Andy Lee, Tina Aliprando, Alec Roelke, Ian Stanley, Lee Stevens, Christina Vivello, Neela Kumar, Michelle Samuel, Aaron Rosenberg, and Brittany Durrant. In addition I recognized Justen and EJ from the physics club. Let me know if I missed anyone.

My students who attended are elegible for some extra credit for writing a summary of the presentation. It should be at least three paragraphs. Topics you might include are: how the large black holes can form along with a galaxy; how they emit energy large amounts of energy( obviously we are talking about energy emitted by stuff before it enters the black hole); and how they are detected using our understanding of gravity and the motion of objects around a large mass. The role of dark matter in black hole and galaxy formation could also be discussed.

No comments: