Thursday, July 28, 2011

Report from Ashfield 7/28/11

I cannot get files to load to the server I store them on from here - the Hughesnet satellite service is awful. In fact I have just been told that I am no longer connected... ah, its back again.

In any case I have been fixing up work spaces by hanging cabinets, building benches and supports and lumber racks, restacking lumber in a way that I can see what I've got ( lot's of mahogany mostly of weird sizes and more 2x8's than I can use right now.). I am also midway through painting a bedroom after I insisted on tearing off some turquoise wallpaper. I am also in the midst of replacing the rpm sensor on the maroon volvo, while tomorrow I'll be picking up a new fender for the blue one( don't drive while sleepy).

Some electricians were here yesterday to install some underground wire between the house and barn ( I hate digging) and do some other stuff. Don't know when they will be back to finish. Contractors are a whimsical bunch.

I've also taken a few hikes, one with my grandson. Gone for a few short walks and done some bike rides ncluding one of 40+ miles and nearly 3000 feet of total climbing. The new hip works well if I keep moving.

Been to Tanglewood a total of 4 times so far this season and each performance has been great.

On the physics front, not much to report except one very practical application. A new soap bottle was very hard to open. I realized that it was warmer than when filled so it was likely under net pressure. I distorted the bottle to increase its volume and reduce the internal pressure and the bottle opened easily. Physics is always with us. I am reading an "old Man's Toy" about general relativity ( Einstein being the old man) and cosmology. Some neat ideas, but too many oversimplifications and some just plain errors. Still, overall worth reading.

Stay in touch, and visit if you can.

No comments: