Sunday, April 22, 2012

More on Repairs

Friday I obtained a piece of steel 3 inches wide, 1/2 an inch thick, and 18 feet long. While I was prepared for it's weight, only about 100 pounds, I was not prepared for its lack of stiffness. It's hard to believe such a large piece of steel will behave like overcooked spaghetti.

My experiences with this band of steel today would have looked to any observer (thank goodness there were none) like the out takes from a 3 stooges film, rejected because they were too far fetched. No sooner would I get the second end up then the first would slither back down on to the floor. Most of the time it would wedge itself between a wall and post or the large rocks that litter the west end of our basement. Whenever I got close to having it in place, it shook itself and wiggled and jumped off the post it was sitting on and threw itself onto the floor; often remembering to pat me on the shoulder or arm en route. I finally got it fixed in place with some bolts and 3/4" threaded rod and now we'll see if it helps hold things together.

No comments: