Saturday, July 12, 2014

More Tanglewood and a little Cycling

Some more great music at Tanglewood. Last night heard an okay performance of Dvorak's Violin Concerto. I was somewhat disappointed in both Mutter's playing and Andris Nelsons' conducting. However Nelsons' then led a superb performance of Dvorak's very beautiful Symphony No. 8 .

This afternoon we hear the Boston University Tanglewood Institute, a program for high school musicians, students perform Dvorak's Carnival Overture, some pretty annoying noise by an Englsihman named Ades, and Beethoven's Seventh. The performances of the first and last pieces were great, just a notch below the Boston Symphony. The conductor, Tito Munoz, did an amazing job with high schoolers who had just started playing together two weeks earlier. The Ades piece sounded about right but with stuff like his who can tell.

I've done some group rides with a club based in The Berkshires. I might be getting a little faster... and then again maybe not. I seem to ride faster with the group but the rides are too short (20 to 28 miles).I need to do some long rides, in the 60 to 100 mile range, to get into real shape. Wish me luck.

No comments: